Monday, April 13, 2009

The Graduates

In the past two years, I have found that being a teacher is quite like being a Mom. You meet new and interesting students and find that, like children, they each bring something new, unique and fun to your life. Also similar to being a mom I've learned that sometimes you must sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

This is my third semester teaching the wedding planning certification course and each semester my students have gotten a very challenging final project...oh how I wish I had blogged from the first class until now...nevertheless my students did not disappoint. I could not have been more proud of this group of students - unless of course I really was their mom watching them take their first steps. Come to think of it, that's just what the final projects were, kind of like their first steps. Now my students would beg to differ and probably say that the midterm was just as intensive as the final, but you have to crawl before you can walk.

BABY GENIUSES
The final project was based on a couple named Jana James and James Wong (these are imaginary people, created by yours truly). The guest count was 250 people, with a budget of $52,000. Now what's the challenge in this you might say? Well the budget also included a honeymoon that required a two week stay in Tahiti and Europe as well as travel. Nothing could be gifted, so great Aunt Sally could not pay for the wedding flowers. The couple loved action sports, reading, wanted wine, fresh flowers, bold colors and candles. The theme was Poets Paradise.

While the theme was poetic my students found nothing poetic or romantic about this project until the end. The transition between crawling and walking is often tough but my class didn't walk, they ran! Below are a pics of them presenting their design boards.









(top row l. Deborah Yacyshyn, r. Beth Gibson owner of Bliss Events; bottom row l. Lisa Clarke, r. Cythia Shareef)



THE WEDDING PLANNERS
Like a mom, I silently chuckled (with pride) as with final projects presented and quizzes and homeworks complete the students all breathed a collective sigh of relief. Like a mom, I fought back the tears as my birds prepared to leave the nest to go forth and begin their own businesses. Like a mom I could not be prouder of them or their potential accomplishments!

Congratulations to the Spring Class of 2009...go forth, plan, create fantastic events and soar! (top row l. to r. Marlo Ricketts Green, Cynthia Shareef, Beth Gibson, Deborah Yacyshyn, J.T.; bottom row l. to r. Taylor Johnson, Nicole Brennan, Judith Robinson, Lisa Clarke)

Until the next time...enjoy life and all the great things that come with it like baby geniuses and wedding planners.

Follow our Tweets on Twitter: www.twitter.com/reginalesley


(all photos taken by Regina Lesley Event Artistry)

1 comment: